Department: Lundquist College of Business, Sports Product Management Program
Appointment Type and Duration: Regular, Ongoing
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Compensation Band: OS-OA11-Fiscal Year 2017-2018
Application Review Begins
February 19, 2018; open until filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
To ensure consideration, please upload the following with your online application:
• A cover letter in which you clearly describe how your knowledge, skills, and abilities prepare you for the job responsibilities and requirements outlined in the job announcement. Please discuss each element completely and succinctly.
• Current resume, which includes dates of employment and clearly highlights experience that meets the required qualification
The Lundquist College of Business (LCB) is one of seven schools housing academic programs at the University of Oregon. The college works cooperatively with other UO Colleges and Schools to prepare students for a broad range of career paths. There are approximately 50 full-time faculty members, 45 instructors and pro-tem's, 35 administrative positions, and 30 staff members.
The Master of Science in Sports Product Management (SPM) program produces graduates that are capable of managing product as a member of a product creation team (e.g. product development, product marketing, product merchandising, costing, materials, etc.) within the 800 plus sports product companies in Oregon and beyond. An SPM degree differs significantly from an MBA in that it has fewer finance and accounting courses, but a significant amount of product sustainability, innovation, consumer focused marketing design, and strategy courses.
The University of Oregon is committed to creating a more inclusive and diverse institution and seeks candidates with demonstrated potential to contribute positively to its diverse community.
The Director of the Sports Product Management program within the Lundquist College of Business is a full-time administrative staff position which provides direct leadership for strategic planning, recruiting, and daily operations to the Master of Sports Product Management (MSPM) program.
Together with the Executive Director and other key stakeholders, the Director shapes the vision and mission of the programs in line with the strategy and mission of Lundquist. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to: 1) developing short and long-range strategic plans that promote continuous quality improvement and increased enrollment in the SPM graduate program(s); and 2) working with program staff on building relationships with community and business leaders; developing and strengthening bonds with graduate programs alumni; managing and staffing graduate course offerings; developing recruitment activities and program marketing to help recruit applicants; coordinating admission procedures; and interacting with the Academic Director, faculty and other business leaders to continually enhance and improve the quality of the curriculum. The Director also serves as the main administrative head and performs other duties as assigned by the Executive Director. This position directly supervises the full-time Assistant Director of Sports Product Industry Engagement, the Assistant Director of Admissions and Marketing, and co-supervisors the Assistant Director of Operations.
• Master’s degree in related field from an accredited university or college. Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university PLUS five years of experience may substitute.
• Five years of supervisory experience in an industry or academic setting.
• Five years of progressive leadership and management experience.
• Five years of talent acquisition experience to include experience hiring into sport product industry functions including product development, engineering, design, marketing or merchandising.
• Expertise in problem solving, and demonstrated persistence in accomplishing goals.
• Proven track record of successfully managing program(s) and talent.
• Professionalism, adaptability, and initiative.
• Ability to identify and solve problems.
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and effectively, utilizing a range of communication channels with diverse groups of students, faculty, administrators, alumni, staff, and other partners and business people at all levels of an organization.
• Commitment to working effectively within an increasingly diverse work environment.
• Demonstrated proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite (or similar software) and experience collecting, analyzing, and accurately reporting data.
• Understanding and enthusiasm for business education.
• Master’s degree from an AACSB accredited institution.
• Experience working in higher education preferably at the graduate program level.
FLSA Exempt: Yes
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a background inquiry.
The University of Oregon is proud to offer a robust benefits package to eligible employees, including health insurance, retirement plans and paid time off. For more information about benefits, visit http://hr.uoregon.edu/careers/about-benefits.
The University of Oregon is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution committed to cultural diversity and compliance with the ADA. The University encourages all qualified individuals to apply, and does not discriminate on the basis of any protected status, including veteran and disability status.
UO prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression in all programs, activities and employment practices as required by Title IX, other applicable laws, and policies. Retaliation is prohibited by UO policy. Questions may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator, Office of Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity, or to the Office for Civil Rights. Contact information, related policies, and complaint procedures are listed on the statement of non-discrimination.
In compliance with federal law, the University of Oregon prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and services. The Annual Campus Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at http://police.uoregon.edu/annual-report.