Department: Prevention Science Institute
Rank: Research Assistant
Annual Basis: 12 Month
Review of Applications Begins
May 11, 2018; open until filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please apply online with a cover letter, CV, and contact information for three professional references.
The Prevention Science Institute (PSI) at the University of Oregon is a multi-disciplinary institute focused on understanding human development, preventing behavioral health problems, and implementing effective interventions in community settings. The core mission of the PSI is to improve the lives and wellbeing of at-risk children, individuals, and families throughout the lifespan.
The Leve Lab, within the UO’s Prevention Science Institute, is looking to fill a combined position with two major roles, Junior Software Developer (JSD) and Data Manager (DM). This person will work closely with the study’s Lead Programmer and Project Coordinator to perform the following essential functions of the position: online database management, develop surveys for web-based and laptop data collection, create and run data imports/exports/backup scripts, maintain the study’s public website, and troubleshoot technical issues with on-site and remote staff. In addition, this person will work closely with our Data Analyst to compile clean, accurate, and up-to-date data files, create monthly data reports, and export data into SPSS to create item level and scaled data files for investigative team. This position requires frequent communication with staff across multiple data collection sites (UO, Penn State University, George Washington University). Work will be conducted on-site, at The University of Oregon. This position reports to the Project Coordinator.
• BA/BS degree with coursework appropriate to the position
• Experience with Ruby, Perl, Python, and/or PHP scripting for web development.
• Relational database theory/design and experience working with database languages (SQL).
• Experience using Linux Command line.
• Must have the ability to attend to a high level of detail.
• Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
• Effective organization and problem-solving skills and ability to collaborate with a dynamic team.
• Comfortable working with users at remote locations to install interviews, transfer data, and troubleshoot issues.
• Able to learn and utilize new programming languages and technologies quickly via self-study.
• Experience using a modern OOP language (Java, C# or equivalent).
• Experience writing SPSS or SAS syntax/scripting.
• Familiarity with PostgreSQL and/or MySQL.
• Familiarity with Apache web server configuration.
• Experience using Git or other VCS.
• Data management experience in a research field.
The University of Oregon is proud to offer a robust benefits package to eligible employees, including health insurance, retirement plans and paid time off. For more information about benefits, visit http://hr.uoregon.edu/careers/about-benefits.
The University of Oregon is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution committed to cultural diversity and compliance with the ADA. The University encourages all qualified individuals to apply, and does not discriminate on the basis of any protected status, including veteran and disability status.
UO prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression in all programs, activities and employment practices as required by Title IX, other applicable laws, and policies. Retaliation is prohibited by UO policy. Questions may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator, Office of Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity, or to the Office for Civil Rights. Contact information, related policies, and complaint procedures are listed on the statement of non-discrimination.
In compliance with federal law, the University of Oregon prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and services. The Annual Campus Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at http://police.uoregon.edu/annual-report.