Department: College of Design Office of External Relations and Communications
Classification: Public Info Representative 1
Appointment Type and Duration: Regular, Ongoing
Salary: $17.75 - $26.96 per hour
Review of Applications Begins
Position closes November 21, 2018
Special Instructions to Applicants
Complete applications must include the following:
• A letter of interest clearly demonstrating how you meet the qualifications of the position
• A current résumé
• Three professional references with up-to-date contact information
The College of Design Office of External Relations and Communications communicates to a broad range of internal and external audiences about the excellence and social impact of the academic programs and people in the College of Design. The team provides media relations, digital communications, graphic design, writing, editing, marketing, and brand services to College of Design departments and programs and collaborates with university partners to improve the effectiveness of communications, marketing, and outreach utilizing an integrated digital, print, and social media approach.
The Digital Marketing and Social Media Specialist works with the College of Design Office of External Relations and Communications team and key stakeholders to develop and execute digital marketing and social media strategies, including paid social media and other publicity campaigns, across multiple channels to showcase the College of Design; its schools, departments, and programs; its activities, research, events, and recruitment efforts.
The Digital Marketing and Social Media Specialist will use the College of Design’s social media platforms and web presence to increase awareness of the college, build reputation, enhance engagement, grow audience base, promote content, and highlight the student experience and value of the degrees from the College of Design, with emphases on recruiting new students, especially of our graduate programs.
The Digital Marketing and Social Media Specialist will create and publish engaging, original, creative content and edit content supplied by others (e.g., in-house writers, faculty/staff, external partners). Part of this position will require social listening to curate a feed for each platform that engages with the various audiences, especially prospective students. To achieve these goals, this position will be responsible for maintaining and managing an interactive content calendar as well as visual assets (e.g., photos and video) that coincide with the college’s communications efforts. Part of the promotion will include paid marketing on social and web platforms and supporting online advertising campaigns in partnership with the director.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to developing social media best practices, developing and executing social media plans, writing copy for the web and social media channels, building and engaging with social media audiences, conducting and acting on audience research, conducting social media audits, and interpreting and acting on social media analytics.
This position reports to and works closely with the director and requires skillful decision-making regarding social media communication to raise the profile of the College of Design and to recruit new students.
• Three years experience in gathering information, writing/producing materials, presenting information to the public, and public relations. One year of this experience must have included responsibility for press releases and interaction with the news media.
• A bachelor's degree in journalism, communication, or closely related field may substitute for up to two years of the general experience.
• Demonstrated experience with digital communications, including social media, paid advertising, website content management, photo editing, and content management systems in a professional capacity.
• Demonstrated understanding of current digital trends and emerging media.
• Demonstrated ability to create and execute digital communications plans and strategies with clear articulation of goals, audience, tactics, and metrics.
• Proficiency using various software tools, including Adobe Creative Suite and social media management tools (e.g. Hootsuite, TweetDeck, HubSpot).
• Demonstrated ability to assimilate and organize complicated information to write, edit, tell a story, and convey strategic messages for a variety of audiences, media, and contexts.
• Demonstrated ability to select, acquire, and manage content, including shooting and editing photos for use online and in print materials.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently, set appropriate work priorities, and require minimal supervision over regular work activities.
• Demonstrated experience with SEO and generating in-bound traffic using social media accounts.
• Strong project management skills, including ability to manage multiple projects with tight, sometimes competing deadlines.
• Strong written, oral, and organizational skills.
• Excellent grammar, spelling, attention to detail.
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
• Commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity and equity.
• Demonstrated ability to work with faculty, staff, and students from diverse backgrounds in an inclusive, welcoming environment; ability to effectively work and communicate with individuals from varied cultural backgrounds.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, Strategic/Marketing Communications, Advertising, Public Relations, Business/Marketing, or a related degree.
• Experience with digital communications in a higher education setting.
• At least two years of experience creating and managing social media campaigns for a variety of platforms including direct experience in social media marketing and advertising management.
• Proficiency in graphic design and photo editing using Adobe Creative Suite.
FLSA Exempt: No
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a background inquiry.
This is a classified position represented by the SEIU Local 503, Oregon Public Employees Union.
The University of Oregon is proud to offer a robust benefits package to eligible employees, including health insurance, retirement plans and paid time off. For more information about benefits, visit http://hr.uoregon.edu/careers/about-benefits.
The University of Oregon is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution committed to cultural diversity and compliance with the ADA. The University encourages all qualified individuals to apply, and does not discriminate on the basis of any protected status, including veteran and disability status. The University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. To request an accommodation in connection with the application process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 541-346-5112.
UO prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression in all programs, activities and employment practices as required by Title IX, other applicable laws, and policies. Retaliation is prohibited by UO policy. Questions may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator, Office of Civil Rights Compliance, or to the Office for Civil Rights. Contact information, related policies, and complaint procedures are listed on the statement of non-discrimination.
In compliance with federal law, the University of Oregon prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and services. The Annual Campus Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at http://police.uoregon.edu/annual-report.