Department: Intercollegiate Athletics
Classification: Refrigeration Mechanic
Appointment Type and Duration: Regular, Ongoing
Salary: $23.39 - $29.64 per hour
Review of Applications Begins
Position closes November 21, 2018
Special Instructions to Applicants
Complete online applications must include:
• A cover letter in which you clearly describe how your knowledge, skills, and abilities prepare you for the job responsibilities and requirements outlined in the job announcement. Please discuss each element completely and succinctly
• Current resume, which includes dates of employment and clearly highlights experience that meets the required qualification
• Three professional references
The University of Oregon Intercollegiate Athletic Department's primary purpose is to provide a unique opportunity for student-athletes to be developed, tested, and encouraged to reach their maximum potential in every aspect of their lives. It is the steadfast goal of the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics to provide the most outstanding student-athlete experience by helping them to achieve excellence, both in the classroom and in their chosen sport. The department has approximately 250 administrative & classified employees and hosts over 600,000 spectators annually and represents the University of Oregon in athletic competition with other universities & colleges.
The purpose of this job is to maintain the Athletic Facilities Systems Equipment and support large Athletic Events. This position assists in creating a work environment that emphasizes customer service, teamwork and the protection/preservation of the department’s physical assets.
• Install, maintain, and repair Oregon Athletics Refrigeration equipment such as glycol coolers, split systems, screw compressors and package units.
• Use appropriate trade tools (i.e. refrigeration gauges, d multi-meters, amp meters, scales, thermometers).
• Perform refrigerant monitoring, leak finding and R-12 &R-22 change-outs to environmentally friendly refrigerants (as required).
• Remove and replace failed compressors, fans and associated controls.
• Purchase and monitor refrigerant usage using EPA licensing protocols (Universal license). Monitor and maintain cooling towers.
• Perform water treatment, (anti-corrosion, fouling)
• Repair, maintain and install condenser, evaporator water pumps for 1 ton to 200-ton chillers.
• Work in a safe manner around large crowds (54,000+).
Additional Expectations of the Position:
• Obtain UO driver’s certification within 90 days of employment and maintain throughout employment with the Athletic Department.
Responsible for promoting the philosophy and objectives of the intercollegiate athletics program, including adherence to all department policies and procedures, as well as the rules and regulations of the university, Pac-12 Conference and the NCAA.
• Journey-level refrigeration mechanic experience which shows skill installing, maintaining, and repairing refrigeration equipment and air conditioning systems;
• Completion of an approved refrigeration mechanic apprenticeship.
• Experience demonstrating usage of appropriate trade tools (i.e.-refrigeration gauges, Dwyer meters, CFM monitors, multimeters, amp meters, scales, and thermometers) to perform maintenance and repairs
• Experience repairing and maintaining large ventilating (energy recovery equipment, supply air make-up equipment) equipment for restrooms, large stadium kitchen hoods, office spaces, and indoor practice fields.
• Purchased and monitored refrigerant usage using EPA licensing protocols (Universal license).
• Experience brazing refrigeration piping.
• Experience with Outlook email.
• At least three years of commercial and Industrial HVAC and Refrigeration maintenance experience.
• At least three years’ experience working in a team setting, organizing, and self-directing maintenance work.
• Possess Universal EPA refrigerant certification.
• Possess a current State of Oregon Limited Energy Technician Class B License.
• Experience with Daikin Heat pumps.
• Completion of an approved Industrial HVAC mechanic apprenticeship.
• HVAC certificate and associate's degree program.
• Experience with Variable Refrigerant Flow heat pumps.
FLSA Exempt: No
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a background inquiry.
This is a classified position represented by the SEIU Local 503, Oregon Public Employees Union.
The University of Oregon is proud to offer a robust benefits package to eligible employees, including health insurance, retirement plans and paid time off. For more information about benefits, visit http://hr.uoregon.edu/careers/about-benefits.
The University of Oregon is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution committed to cultural diversity and compliance with the ADA. The University encourages all qualified individuals to apply, and does not discriminate on the basis of any protected status, including veteran and disability status. The University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. To request an accommodation in connection with the application process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 541-346-5112.
UO prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression in all programs, activities and employment practices as required by Title IX, other applicable laws, and policies. Retaliation is prohibited by UO policy. Questions may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator, Office of Civil Rights Compliance, or to the Office for Civil Rights. Contact information, related policies, and complaint procedures are listed on the statement of non-discrimination.
In compliance with federal law, the University of Oregon prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and services. The Annual Campus Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at http://police.uoregon.edu/annual-report.