Department: Erb Memorial Union
Appointment Type and Duration: Regular, Ongoing
Salary: $43,000-$48,000 per year
Compensation Band: OS-OA05-Fiscal Year 2021-2022
Application Review Begins
October 4, 2021; position open until filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
For the complete position description and duties please email: email@example.com and reference EMU Community Outreach Coordinator.
For consideration, applicants should submit:
• Cover letter which expresses your interest in the position; describe how your skills, abilities, and experiences meet the minimum and preferred qualifications and professional competencies contained within the job announcement
• Current résumé, which includes dates of employment
• Answers to the following supplemental questions:
1. Please explain how you would manage and build collaborative programming and outreach in the EMU?
2. What is the role you see social media playing to build awareness and community around a complex environment like the EMU?
3. The Division of Student Life is committed to creating a multicultural organization that actively respects, includes, and engages everyone. What does this mean to you and how, if you were selected as the successful candidate, will you help us meet this goal? Further, how will you encourage and develop a commitment to inclusivity among the students with whom you will be working?
The Erb Memorial Union (EMU) is a department of the Division of Student Life. The EMU is a multifaceted auxiliary service that employs over 90 professional staff and 400 student staff, and serves over 15 thousand daily users during the academic year. The EMU welcomes students, faculty, staff, the community and visitors to campus, and its mission is to provide learning experiences and opportunities for personal growth in an open, inclusive, and resource-rich community where students and staff collaborate to inspire and sustain extraordinary programs and services that promote diversity and social interaction. The EMU is student centered and is operated in collaboration with a student Board, who are actively involved in determining the character and scope of the department and approve the budget recommendations of all EMU services and programs.
The EMU Community Outreach Coordinator is a staff member who reports to the Sr. Associate Director, Erb Memorial Union and is responsible for coordinating EMU community wide programming and public relations including: annual building wide showcases, EMU Board alumni events, hosting watch parties and participating in campus wide activities, and is responsible for event logistics as assigned including agendas, logistics, RSVP lists, correspondence, and tracking budgets.
This position supervises 3-5 media students responsible for social media, the EMU blog, and YouTube channel and 3-5 students responsible for assisting with programming efforts including watch parties and tabling in the EMU.
This position will also manage the EMU permanent art collection including maintaining historical records, act as a liaison between Oregon Arts Commission, EMU Business Association, artists and other non-UO entities, and maintain processes and records of deaccession and acquisition.
In addition, this position will coordinate the EMU award programs and fundraising efforts.
• Bachelor’s degree and three years professional experience in student programming in a
higher education or other institutional setting.
• 2 years experience leading and/or supervising students
• 2 years experience managing a budget.
• 2 years experience programming events for diverse populations
• Work effectively in a diverse team environment and create effective relationships for
problem solving and positive interactions.
• Strong attention to detail.
• Ability to maintain a safe and safety-conscious workplace.
• Ability to maintain a respectful workplace and model a positive and proactive attitude.
• Experience providing superior customer service.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Demonstrated experience problem solving in an independent manner.
• Master’s Degree in student affairs, student development, social work, counseling,
education, organizational leadership, or related field.
• Experience planning and designing social media campaigns.
• Experience in program assessment.
• Knowledge of student development theories and practices.
• Experience in practices of risk management.
FLSA Exempt: Yes
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a background inquiry.
The University of Oregon is proud to offer a robust benefits package to eligible employees, including health insurance, retirement plans and paid time off. For more information about benefits, visit http://hr.uoregon.edu/careers/about-benefits.
The University of Oregon is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution committed to cultural diversity and compliance with the ADA. The University encourages all qualified individuals to apply, and does not discriminate on the basis of any protected status, including veteran and disability status. The University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. To request an accommodation in connection with the application process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 541-346-5112.
UO prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression in all programs, activities and employment practices as required by Title IX, other applicable laws, and policies. Retaliation is prohibited by UO policy. Questions may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator, Office of Civil Rights Compliance, or to the Office for Civil Rights. Contact information, related policies, and complaint procedures are listed on the statement of non-discrimination.
In compliance with federal law, the University of Oregon prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and services. The Annual Campus Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at http://police.uoregon.edu/annual-report.