Department: TeACS Terrestrial Animal Care Services
Appointment Type and Duration: Regular, Ongoing
Salary: $55,000 - $65,000 per year
Compensation Band: OS-OA06-Fiscal Year 2022-2023
Application Review Begins
Immediately. To ensure consideration, please apply by September 14, 2022; position open until filled.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please submit the following with your online application:
• A cover letter in which you clearly describe how your knowledge, skills, and abilities prepare you for the job responsibilities and describing how you meet each minimum and preferred requirements outlined in the job announcement.
• A resume of your educational and professional work experience.
Please submit the names and contact information for three professional references. Candidates will be notified prior to contacting references.
This position is based in Eugene, Oregon. Remote options are not available.
Terrestrial Animal Care Services (TeACS) is responsible for managing and administering a centralized program of laboratory animal care. The functions of TeACS include daily animal care, veterinary care, research and surgical support, and training of research and technical personnel who use live animals for research or teaching. TeACS is an academic service unit (for research and teaching) which reports to the Office of the Vice President for Research and Innovation (OVPRI), who promotes excellence in research at the University of Oregon.
This department cares for animals in compliance with the federal Animal Welfare Act, the NIH Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals, the Public Health Service Policy on Humane Care and Use of Laboratory Animals, and the U.S. Government Principles for the Utilization and Care of Vertebrate Animals Used in Testing, Research, and Training.
The Facility Manager is responsible for managing the TeACS laboratory animal care program in conjunction with the TeACS Director. This position will manage day-to day operations of the animal facilities, including directly supervising technical personnel and administrative functions related to animal care.
Additional responsibilities include: maintains security of animal facilities; coordinates and provides training for research and technical staff; assists in monitoring regulatory compliance and protocol oversight; assists the attending veterinarian to observe, examine and care for sick or injured animals; oversees physical plant and equipment maintenance; provides animal-related technical assistance; and performs husbandry activities such as feeding, watering and changing cages.
• Bachelor’s degree in Animal Science or a related field; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Four years of experience working in a laboratory animal facility.
• Knowledge of humane care, management, and housing of animals with understanding of standards and guidelines as established by federal and state regulations.
• Ability to communicate ideas effectively using written, oral, and digital methods.
• Ability to build and maintain collaborative relationships to work effectively with others in a team setting.
• Ability to effectively manage employees.
• Ability to motivate, organize, and delegate tasks to team members to accomplish goals of the department and University.
• Demonstrated creativity and problem-solving skills; ability to bring new ideas to solve problems, enhance productivity, and improve workflow.
• Demonstrated integrity, accountability, and ethical behavior.
• Ability to respect diverse viewpoints and learn from and appreciate other cultures and perspectives.
• Supervisory or management experience in a laboratory animal facility setting.
• Strong writing, editing, and oral communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
• Rodent colony management experience.
• Experience performing common rodent substance administration and blood draw techniques
• Certification as a Laboratory Animal Technologist (LATG) and Certified Manager of Animal Resources (CMAR) through the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science
• Experience working at an AAALAC accredited institution.
FLSA Exempt: Yes
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a background inquiry.
University of Oregon students and employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. For additional information see: https://coronavirus.uoregon.edu/vaccine.
The University of Oregon is proud to offer a robust benefits package to eligible employees, including health insurance, retirement plans and paid time off. For more information about benefits, visit http://hr.uoregon.edu/careers/about-benefits.
The University of Oregon is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution committed to cultural diversity and compliance with the ADA. The University encourages all qualified individuals to apply, and does not discriminate on the basis of any protected status, including veteran and disability status. The University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. To request an accommodation in connection with the application process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 541-346-5112.
UO prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression in all programs, activities and employment practices as required by Title IX, other applicable laws, and policies. Retaliation is prohibited by UO policy. Questions may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator, Office of Civil Rights Compliance, or to the Office for Civil Rights. Contact information, related policies, and complaint procedures are listed on the statement of non-discrimination.
In compliance with federal law, the University of Oregon prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and services. The Annual Campus Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://clery.uoregon.edu/annual-campus-security-and-fire-safety-report.