Department: Central Business Services Office
Appointment Type and Duration: Regular, Ongoing
Salary: Starts at $62,000; commensurate with experience
Compensation Band: OS-OA07-Fiscal Year 2022-2023
Application Review Begins
March 31, 2023; position open until filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, please submit the following:
- A cover letter that outlines your skills, experience, and qualifications related to this position
- An updated resume
The Central Business Service Offices (CBSO), a shared service office, provides service within the Office of the Provost portfolio. We provide expertise and reliable support in the areas of Finance, Human Resources, Payroll, Purchasing, Contracting, Travel, and Accounts Payable. The mission of the shared services group is to provide consistent, equitable, and reliable support with integrity, and transparency. We are committed to eliminating barriers in order to create closer collaborative working partnerships with units—ensuring their needs are fulfilled to the highest standard.
The CBSO unit provides shared services for several organizations within the OtP portfolio including:
• College of Design
• School of Journalism & Communication
• College of Education
• Clark Honors College
The units supported by CBSO constitute a large business enterprise consisting of more than 2,500 employees and a total budget of more than $100 million in budgeted operations funds. There are additional operations funds such as foundation funds, research funding, designated operations, and other non-general funds. The CBSO also works with multiple employee category types funded from various sources such as sponsored, gift, and foundation funds and research, outreach, and designated ops org funds. The CBSO provides a wide variety of financial and human resources transactions and functions including acting as a liaison to the Business Affairs Office, Purchasing and Contracting Services, University Human Resources, and Payroll Administration.
Why you should work here:
• We provide excellent benefits including health, dental, retirement plans, and generous paid time off.
• UO offers a tuition discount for eligible employees or family members in participating programs at UO or other Oregon public universities.
• Flexible and hybrid work options based in Eugene, OR.
• OA positions such as this provide the opportunity to hone existing administrative strengths and build new ones in a large, complex organization, leading to opportunities for growth within or outside of the designated fields.
This position serves on the CBSO Business Operations team and supervises two full-time classified staff members. In this position, you will manage all operations and activities related to personnel and payroll actions, monthly and annual processes, and reporting for all employee groups supported by the CBSO. You will oversee and supervise payroll reporting, payroll accounting, payroll administration, and payroll systems including the rollout and execution of new Kronos (UKG) workforce management services. Pay actions include adding, removing, or adjusting payroll, calculating OPE rates and expenses, monthly pay audits, tracking faculty regular and summer payroll, stipends, off-cycle pay, and other adjustments. This requires strong organizational skills and regular communication between the central university Payroll team as well as the CBSO HR team.
As a leader in the CBSO, you will help to design new and efficient workflows, support projects for strategic initiatives, plan and execute administrative processes, and recommend and implement process improvements to ensure payment is processed on time and accurately. You will support the integration of payroll processing and human resource management into our unit support services. This allows for opportunities to be creative, collaborate, and will regularly exercise independent judgment in the development of policies and procedures involving personnel actions. This position will be in frequent communication with unit partners and stakeholders, and thus requires the ability to facilitate clear and effective communication flows, and interpersonal problem-solving with high levels of confidentiality, sensitivity, and cultural awareness. The position is expected to use diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility frameworks in every aspect of its responsibilities.
This position will apply knowledge and interpret principles, rules, regulations, policies, precedents, and other guidelines specific to the CBSO, the University of Oregon, and the State of Oregon in order to analyze needs, resolve problems, answer questions, and provide information.
The person in this position reports directly to the Assistant Director of CBSO Business Operations.
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Human Resources, or a related field. An equivalent combination of education and experience may substitute.
• Three years of related work experience such as administrative, financial, payroll specialist, office manager, human resource operations, or similar.
• One year of supervisory or lead work experience.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with individuals from different backgrounds and with diverse life experiences and learning styles.
• Ability to handle sensitive and confidential materials and issues with care and tact.
• Project management skills to identify long-range goals, design realistic plans to attain them, and meet deadlines.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Ability to exercise sound judgment, diplomacy, and perceptual objectivity for effective decision-making.
• Ability to manage change in a complex environment, and adjust planning and activities to support changing priorities.
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail to minimize errors.
• Proficient with Microsoft Excel and Word applications or related software.
• Experience with UKG or Kronos software.
• Strong knowledge of payroll processes and relevant legal regulations including union payroll.
• Payroll Certification such as CPP or FPC.
• Experience with HCM, CRM, Banner, or other enterprise resource planning (ERP) systems.
FLSA Exempt: Yes
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a background inquiry.
University of Oregon students and employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. For additional information see: https://hr.uoregon.edu/uo-covid-19-vaccination-requirement-employee-process.
The University of Oregon is proud to offer a robust benefits package to eligible employees, including health insurance, retirement plans and paid time off. For more information about benefits, visit http://hr.uoregon.edu/careers/about-benefits.
The University of Oregon is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution committed to cultural diversity and compliance with the ADA. The University encourages all qualified individuals to apply, and does not discriminate on the basis of any protected status, including veteran and disability status. The University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. To request an accommodation in connection with the application process, please contact us at email@example.com or 541-346-5112.
UO prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression in all programs, activities and employment practices as required by Title IX, other applicable laws, and policies. Retaliation is prohibited by UO policy. Questions may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator, Office of Civil Rights Compliance, or to the Office for Civil Rights. Contact information, related policies, and complaint procedures are listed on the statement of non-discrimination.
In compliance with federal law, the University of Oregon prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and services. The Annual Campus Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://clery.uoregon.edu/annual-campus-security-and-fire-safety-report.