Department: Information Services
Appointment Type and Duration: Regular, Ongoing
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Compensation Band: OS-OA12-Fiscal Year 2019-2020
Application Review Begins
Immediately, to ensure consideration apply by July 6, 2020; position open until filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
When applying you will be required to attach the following electronic documents:
1. A resume/CV and;
2. A cover letter indicating how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position.
You will also be required to submit the names of at least three professional references, their e-mail addresses, and telephone numbers as part of the application process.
Any application missing the above documents/information may be considered incomplete.
In order to ensure consideration, please submit your application materials prior to or on the listed review date.
Information Services (IS) is the central information technology unit at the University of Oregon and provides wide-ranging services to campus. Information Services consists of four major functional areas: Customer Experience, which serves as the key contact point for interactions with campus clients and customers; Applications & Middleware, which manages and supports applications, integration services, identity management, and data management; Information Security, which helps protect virtual or physical information; and Technology Infrastructure, which provides administration and support for the data centers, wireless and physical networks, telecommunications infrastructure, and associated services needed to support the campus IT environment. IS works closely with Link Oregon, the provider of high-speed broadband to research and education in the state.
Established in 1876, the University of Oregon offers a breadth and depth of curricula with more than 270 academic programs and provides the opportunity to work at a respected research university with a strong holistic liberal arts foundation. The UO also has a history of political and social involvement that embraces diverse beliefs, cultures, and values, and it is committed to environmental responsibility.
The university is also proud of its newly-announced Phil and Penny Knight Campus for Accelerating Scientific Impact, an initiative specifically designed to fast-track scientific discoveries and the process of turning those discoveries into innovations that improve the quality of life for people in Oregon, the nation and beyond. Information Services collaborates with Research and Innovation and our schools and colleges to support the research, teaching, and learning mission of the university.
Eugene is the home of the University of Oregon’s main campus. Located in the lush Willamette Valley, Eugene is well-known for outdoor pursuits like running, cycling, rafting, and fishing, as well as arts, music, crafts, brewing, wine-making, and community-supported agriculture. With branches in Portland and on the Oregon coast, the UO is deeply connected to Oregon's natural and cultural treasures.
The Associate CIO for Applications and Middleware is responsible for providing strategic and operational leadership to the groups providing enterprise academic and administrative applications; identity and access management services; application development; web hosting and web accessibility programs; enterprise application integration services; and enterprise data management. The Associate CIO’s portfolio includes enterprise applications such as enterprise resource planning, learning management systems, constituent relationship management, collaboration and communication applications; application, software, and web development; application integration; identity and access management services and identity federation; and data management, including database administration, enterprise data warehouse, business intelligence, and analytics.
In collaboration with internal and external campus stakeholders, the Associate CIO develops and implements vision and plans for the operating needs of the Applications and Middleware group, including annual and long-term plans for budget, personnel, and technology acquisition, retirement, and life-cycle. Additionally, the Associate CIO serves as the primary liaison to the appropriate regulatory agencies, vendors, and professional organizations.
The Associate CIO reports to the Vice Provost for Information Services and Chief Information Officer (VP/CIO) and serves on the Information Services Executive Council. The position leads a team of approximately 45 professionals, including those represented by a bargaining unit. The Associate CIO has budget authority and accountability for the Applications and Middleware group.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of experience, skills and education
• Seven years of IT experience with an emphasis on application, integration, and data management services
• Five years of leadership experience providing supervision, coaching and mentoring to information technology professionals
• Demonstrated prior experience supporting information technology services in a complex environment
• Experience in managing as well as negotiating vendor contracts and agreements with end-users, service providers and regulatory agencies
• Ability to work effectively with faculty, staff, and students from a variety of diverse backgrounds
• Demonstrated problem-solving skills
• Ability to adapt within a rapidly changing technical environment
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to explain technical concepts to audiences with a wide range of technical skills
• Ability to work independently as well as in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
• Ability to deal efficiently and effectively with a wide range of vendors
• Ability to operate and communicate effectively while meeting deadlines and completing projects
• Successful experience working, collaborating and establishing credibility and relationships with senior leadership, colleagues and customers
• Advanced degree
• Experience working in IT within higher education
• Demonstrated experience with developing and maintaining short- and long-term plans and budgets for technology infrastructure in a higher education environment
• Experience with ITIL or ITSM
• Experience leading and managing application and middleware services in a medium/large research university or similar environment.
• Proven experience in developing a vision, roadmap, and successful technology framework
FLSA Exempt: Yes
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a background inquiry.
The University of Oregon is proud to offer a robust benefits package to eligible employees, including health insurance, retirement plans and paid time off. For more information about benefits, visit http://hr.uoregon.edu/careers/about-benefits.
The University of Oregon is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution committed to cultural diversity and compliance with the ADA. The University encourages all qualified individuals to apply, and does not discriminate on the basis of any protected status, including veteran and disability status. The University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. To request an accommodation in connection with the application process, please contact us at email@example.com or 541-346-5112.
UO prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression in all programs, activities and employment practices as required by Title IX, other applicable laws, and policies. Retaliation is prohibited by UO policy. Questions may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator, Office of Civil Rights Compliance, or to the Office for Civil Rights. Contact information, related policies, and complaint procedures are listed on the statement of non-discrimination.
In compliance with federal law, the University of Oregon prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and services. The Annual Campus Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at http://police.uoregon.edu/annual-report.