Department: Research and Innovation Services
Appointment Type and Duration: Funding Contingent (Faculty, Research OAs), Limited
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Application Review Begins
April 19, 2021; position open until filled.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please include a resume and cover letter with your online application.
The University of Oregon (UO) holds the distinction of a “very high research activity” ranking in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education and is one of only two Pacific Northwest members of the Association of American Universities (AAU). In 2014, the University launched an ambitious fundraising campaign focused on supporting faculty excellence in teaching and research, creating access for outstanding students, and enriching the student experience. In 2017, the UO received a very generous $500M gift to launch the Phil and Penny Knight Campus for Accelerating Scientific Impact, which will further increase the scope and magnitude of research and innovation activities across campus.
The Office of the Vice President for Research and Innovation (OVPRI) serves as an advocate and catalyst within the University for expanding the range and impact of UO's research, scholarship, and creative endeavors. The OVPRI also oversees sponsored programs, research compliance, technology transfer, and research development and administrative responsibility for numerous high-profile research centers and institutes and core research facilities, which provide opportunities for faculty across the university to collaborate on research efforts that are inherently interdisciplinary, and of significant societal importance.
The core responsibility of the Mentor Network Catalyst is to develop and implement a mentoring strategy that guides faculty through the University of Oregon’s Intellectual Property commercialization process, support the entrepreneurship and innovation strategic initiative set by university leadership, and connect the University of Oregon to community entrepreneurship efforts, including but not limited to Onward Eugene.
This position will manage the engagement process between mentors in the network and faculty, ensuring proper matching, training, and evaluation. The Mentor Network Catalyst will also be responsible to recruit a variety of mentor types and develop mentoring resources to support the regional industry sector strategies: Life sciences, data sciences, education, material sciences, and technology.
The Mentor Network Catalyst is housed within Innovation Partnership Services, will report to the AVP Innovation, and will supervise mentors recruited into the program. The successful incumbent will have a strong network of founders, established industry leaders, high net worth angel investors, and organized seed and venture funds in the region.
1) Bachelor's degree OR an equivalent combination of skills and experience
2) Five years of related work experience in commercialization and entrepreneurial ecosystem development
• Demonstrated impeccable analytical, interpersonal, and written and oral communication skills, as well as high ethical standards, mature judgment, and the capacity to foster constructive outcomes in a complex environment involving an array of distinct stakeholders from diverse backgrounds.
• Demonstrated ability to develop comfortable and productive relationships with academic scientists and science/tech industry representatives.
• Customer service orientation.
• Demonstrated ability to manage a portfolio of projects independently.
1) Experience with university innovation processes and systems.
2) At least ten years of professional experience at increasing levels of management, administrative and leadership responsibility of entrepreneurial endeavors and programs.
3) Demonstrated ability and inclination to work as a leader and member of a team.
4) Experience in raising capital and building management teams for technology companies.
5) Experience leading culture change through persistence and persuasion.
6) Demonstrated ability to build consensus and work in complex teams across divisions.
7) Well established working relationships with regional public organizations that include city/county economic development departments, Chambers of Commerces, other ecosystem supporting non-profits.
8) Entrepreneurial and passionate about startups, possesses the ability to work in an evolving environment with multiple stakeholders.
9) Comfort in the unfamiliar with a keen interest and willingness to explore areas outside of your normal comfort zone.
FLSA Exempt: Yes
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a background inquiry.
The University of Oregon is proud to offer a robust benefits package to eligible employees, including health insurance, retirement plans and paid time off. For more information about benefits, visit http://hr.uoregon.edu/careers/about-benefits.
The University of Oregon is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution committed to cultural diversity and compliance with the ADA. The University encourages all qualified individuals to apply, and does not discriminate on the basis of any protected status, including veteran and disability status. The University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. To request an accommodation in connection with the application process, please contact us at email@example.com or 541-346-5112.
UO prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression in all programs, activities and employment practices as required by Title IX, other applicable laws, and policies. Retaliation is prohibited by UO policy. Questions may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator, Office of Civil Rights Compliance, or to the Office for Civil Rights. Contact information, related policies, and complaint procedures are listed on the statement of non-discrimination.
In compliance with federal law, the University of Oregon prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and services. The Annual Campus Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at http://police.uoregon.edu/annual-report.